You probably heard I had been complaining how suxs my Asus laptop is; but is there a solution to end this problem? I think I might had the answer.

N550JV is known for poor ventilation. It can get heated up to more than 55°C. How I know? I brought a digital thermometer, so that I won't blow this crap again (it blown later that year).

Asus dropped a hint on what went wrong when I collect it. They replaced the WiFi module. After close examine, I concluded that the gap between the exhaust and WiFi cover are too near. It is causing back pressure, thus heating the entire aluminium chassis. It is not an isolation case. I used to have a Macbook Pro and it has the same problem. Unlike Asus, Apple divert the back pressure air to the base cover, which act as a giant heat sink. That's why never put your Macbook pro flat on the table. Tilt it a bit, so that the heat will dissipate.


It's fine if you are always in the aircon room but I don't have an aircon at home all the time. I have to put an external 4" fan to cool (Thanks to the in-genius design, Asus placed the air intake in the middle of the base cover, which will heat up the laptop even more if you use a laptop cooler due to air exhaustion.)

Let us begin. First I need to take some serious measurements by dismantle the part for measurement. My friend Jimmy is a seasoned technician, so things go better than we expected and end less than 30min =)


Next I CAD the WiFi Cover using Solidworks.


Once I had the Cover CAD, I can start improvements. I came out 2 designs, namely Type 1 and Type 2. Both got their pros and cons, depending on usage.


Once I am happy with my design, I modified one of the drawing, so that it is suitable to print on a RepRap printer. Reprap printed parts are not so precise but it is good enough to have a feel and proof of concept. After waiting for 2 weeks, Francis (Romscraj) passed me the part.


After verifying the part printed by Reprap printer and checked its strength, I tweak my design a bit to increase more air flow. Finally I am clear to print using Shapeway =)


It will cost approx US$35 per design on top of the US$25 shipping =(

The entire process took me almost a month. Unfortunately I didn't send it for printing.
Share To:

TAN Wei Kok

Post A Comment: